Underkeeper Apprenticeship Level 2
BTC are pioneering the future education of Countryside and Environment Apprenticeships in both the regional and national landscape. We are incredibly proud to work with The Environment Agency, the National Trust, The Canal & River Trust and Somerset Drainage Board (with support from LANTRA) to support and deliver brand new trailblazer Apprenticeships.
Developed by shooting organisations to support the role of gamekeeping in the modern age and develop an understanding of gamekeeping by the younger generation. The Level 2 Underkeeper Apprenticeship prepares the next generation of gamekeepers for a wider, more diverse role in the countryside where the balance of habitat management and promotion of the environmental benefits of shooting sports can be demonstrated while also providing a source of sustainable, wild meat to butchers and restaurants.
The Underkeeper apprenticeship covers the following key areas:
- Maintaining healthy gamebird populations
- Pest control methods
- Running shoot days
- Care of gundogs
- Risk assessments, especially those associated with shooting
- Basic tree management
- Shooting and countryside legislation
- Safe use of firearms
- Safe access to land for the public
- Habitat creation and maintenance
- Basic deer management
- Role of the gamekeeper as an ambassador for shooting sports
Mandatory Qualifications included in the apprenticeship:
- Wild Game Hygiene Level 2 Award
- Pesticide application
- Rat control for Gamekeepers Certificate
Final End Point Assessment:
- Underpinning knowledge 40 questions, 60 minute multiple choice test
- Six synoptic practical tasks relevant to the workplace (3.5 hours)
- Professional discussion - 90 minutes
Grades: Pass or Distinction
Delivered in the workplace (nationally) and/or one annual residential block week of training at Bridgwater & Taunton College's Cannington Campus.
Full onsite accommodation package available at £200 per week.
More information on costings to your business here
*New Government Incentives now available to recruit an apprentice. Speak to us to find out more!
Find out more about our Countryside & the Environment training offer on our website...